|Species:||Lagerstroemia indica L.|
Botanical characteristics: It can be a small tree or a large deciduous shrub with a globose crown. It is slow growing and reaches 6-8 mt in height. It has a decorative taupe bark that peels off in plates allowing the slightly yellow background to be half-seen. The leaves are elliptic, acuminate, whose margins are entire, when young they are bronze and then dark green, while in autumn they have a wonderful hue from orange to purple red. In summer and autumn the bloom is beautiful and abundant, the flowers are from white to pink to red in apical inflorescence panicles up to 20 cm long.
Agronomic and environmental characteristics: It prefers fertile, well drained, calcareous soils and full sun exposure. It has an high degree of drought resistance and a good one of air pollution resistance.
Use: It is used in parks and gardens both as small shrub and as single tree, in groups, in flowerbeds and in mixed hedges. In urban green spaces it is cultivated as a small tree in order to be planted along the tree-lined avenues in narrow spaces.
**Cultivars available in our nurseries:
- Lagerstroemia indica “Caroline Beauty”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Coccinea”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Durant Red”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Nivea”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Petit Pink”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Rosea”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Rossa”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Rubra Magnifica”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Super Rouge”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Violacea”
- Lagerstroemia indica “Watermelon Red”
Need some Infos?
Can not find the plant that's right for you? Contact us to have one made ad hoc according to your needs, or to get more information.